Supported MIME Types
- You can upload any filetype to G2
- G2 generates for the following filetypes thumbnails and webviewable and resized images
- imagemagick: gif, jpg, jp2 (jpeg 2000), png, tga, tiff, svg, bmp, pdf, eps, psd, pcd, wmf
- netpbm: jpeg, gif, png, tiff, bmp, pnm,
- gd: gifm jpeg, png, wbmp, xpm, xbm
- ffmpeg: mpeg, asf, avi, mov, wmv (containers), and various codecs (mpeg2, mpeg4 (incl. h264), wmv, quicktime, ... whatever ffmpeg supports)
- dcraw: various raw formats (nikon, canon, ...)
- You can add thumbnail / webviewable image support for any filetype by creating your own G2 module which handles this filetype. All you need is a php function or an external binary (program) which can handle this filetype.
- You can upload separate / custom thumbnail for any filetype. So if G2 can't generate thumbnails for a specific filetype, you can still upload your own thumbnail for the file
- And you can specify default thumbnails for any filetype, if G2 is unable to generate thumbnails for this filetype
- If you need thumbnail generation support for a filetype that is handled by an existing G2 tookit (imagemagick, netpbm, gd, ffmpeg, dcraw), but we don't support it yet, you can file a feature request and we will add support for it
The contents of this page are out of date. Some of the listed requested features have already been implemented and the list of requested features / most requested features hasn't been updated since a long time. Also, there is now Gallery's sfvote page to give our users the opportunity to vote for their preferred features, tasks and bugs to give the development team an idea of what should be done next.
G2 Feature Matrix
Requested features organized by category and module for G2.
|| Add a progress bar to the system checks, install core and install other modules steps
|| Improve according to the usability study report
|| Improve DB step for DB2 (Data Source Name field instead of DB/Host)
Most Requested Features
These are the features that we have seen many requests for, and whatever we can tell you about them. Once something is implemented, we will make a note of it on this page and delete the entire item at the release after next.
For the current tracker of Feature Requests that have not been reviewed in full yet, have a look at the Tracker. Most of the items in the tracker are categorized so if you can't find the feature you have in mind, try limiting your search to a category and browsing through it. Items for Gallery 2 are marked with a [G2] tag.
- Admin Authorization - ability for an admin to approve pictures or comments before they are visible.
- Preview Mode - add permissions to allow viewing of thumbnails in an album but not letting people click on them without logging in.
- Specify Format - specify file format for thumb/sized images
- Other file formats - 3gp/.3gp, bitmap/.bmp, svg/.svg pdf/.pdf, flash/.swf, quicktime/.mov, postscript/.ps, mp3/.mp3, ogg/.ogg tiff/.tif, windowsmedia/.wmv,.asf have thumbnails/previews for all of them and embed relevant ones for display. Also support user-customizable file formats to display with a custom applet or something similar.
- Image protection - protect images with a transparent gif over them from saving, prevent hotlinking, etc
- Basic Image Editing - Greyscale, Masking, Brightness, Sharpness, color levels, applying preset filters, etc. probably won't be in G2 but you never know..
- Import/Export - the ability to import and export albums or the whole gallery as a single file with all of the pictures and all information from the gallery, for backup,moving things between installations, and allowing users to download a .zip/.tgz/.tar/.tar.gz. Let Gallery use (anononymous/authenticated) FTP to upload images as well as export images. Also do folder recursion for nested albums.
- Item Adding - Item uploading via email or by watching a directory.
- Third Party Integration - phpWebSite, phpBB 2.2, phpWeblog, vbulletin, !TikiWiki, XOOPS, cpgnuke, Xaraya, IBP, cpgnuke, YaBB, invision, WBurning Board, myPhpNuke, e107, Typo3, UBB, phpgroupware/egroupware, vbPortal random block, www.xmbforum.com
- Customizable Text - customizable colors, fonts, etc. for editable text. comments, captions, etc. some sort of wizard for choosing stuff?
- More Information in thumbnail view - original filesize, number of the thumbnail (for moving picture purposes)
- Mail this page to a friend
- Print Services londondrugs.com, mueller.de, HP Photo, www.clubphoto.com, snapfish, www.winkflash.com ww.photobox.co.uk(All the code is there already on www.printbutton.com)
- Summary Page - all thumbs or photos on one page
- Searching - search for new pics and ability to edit captions/keywords as an admin ala the usual edit_captions interface, move albums from results, slideshow of results, etc. basically, treat search results as a "dynamic album"
Requesting More Features
If the feature you want is not on this list and isn't already a feature, submit a new feature request here and someone will look over it as soon as possible. Make sure to tag it in the summary with [G2]