This is a draft of some thoughts and ideas for 2.3:
Areas for focus:
- Break language packs out of core
- Reduce # of class files required for an individual page load
- Module improvements
- Simplify RSS module - The current implementation is to complex for most users, it should really just be simple on/off switches for albums/items/comments (advanced mode could possibly include the current options).
Do we want to try to maintain API compatibility with 2.1 and 2.2? This will give module developers and themers a little more breathing room to develop new themes.
API breaking changes we could make:
- Move color packs down into themes, so each theme has its own set of color packs
- Move GalleryUtilities into the GalleryCoreApi
API consistent changes we could make:
- Allow themes to override any .tpl file (there's a task for this)
- AJAXify all admin pages
- AJAXify the progress bar (make it a popup instead of an interstitial page)
- Move GalleryUtilities into the GalleryCoreApi, but allow the old code to delegate back. (this might not be API compatible-- requires some thought)