Download Gallery 3
Here's how you get the latest experimental code:
Grabbing the latest experimental code from Github
(if you know what Git is you can get it that way too).
Install Gallery 3
Gallery needs a place to stick your photos, so do this:
chmod 777 var
Then point your web browser at the gallery3 directory you just downloaded. You'll see a page which looks like this.The only thing you should need to enter here is the user name and password for your MySQL database.
If you don't know what's going on at this point, try clicking continue.
If you get an error that index.php cannot be found, you need to do 2 things:
- enable mod_rewrite in apache2 and reload
- edit .htaccess (in gallery3 directory), scroll down to the section "You can use the mod_rewrite Apache module to get rid of the "index.php" from your Gallery 3 urls..." Follow this instruction to change RewriteBase.
Using Gallery 3
After the install, you should be logged in as the admin user. Here are some things to try to get you started:
- Under the Options menu try Add an album
- Under the Options menu try Add a photo and add a few photos
If you cannot add a photo, you need to install G3 Plupload module or html_uploader module into the Module Directory.
- Under the Admin menu try Dashboard or Modules to add new features
- Install the "Gallery 2 Import" module, configure it under Admin > Settings > Gallery 2 Import and then try importing your Gallery 2! (this won't damage your existing Gallery 2 install at all)
- Use Options > Organize Album to rearrange photos in your album!