The Gallery team is very excited to announce a new bounty program, where we pay you for helping us out by finding security problems or contributing code. (Note: this only applies to the most recent version of our currently shipping software: Gallery 3) Additionally, you can pitch in to the fund to reward people that fix bugs or write features you want to see fixed or implemented! We're pledging $5000 to get this started, and you can start contributing right now! Read on for the details of this program.
Gallery 3 has undergone several security reviews and as a result of each review, potential security issues have been resolved. We are interested in all types of potential security issues in Gallery 3.
Since the initial release of Gallery 2, all releases of Gallery 2 undergo a paid professional security view before release. They've caught things each time, but we're fairly confident in the security of Gallery 2, and Gallery 2 is no longer under active development. Realistically, we are only likely to reward and fix 'Critical' security issues.
Gallery 1 has undergone a paid security review by a professional security firm, and has been effectively end-of-lifed. We will not reward or fix any issues with Gallery 1.
While we appreciate security reports about this site, our website, etc, we will only pay out substantially reduced bounties for any issues reported about anything not related to issues in shipping versions of Gallery 3 or 2.
We're offering a substantial amount of money for responsibly reporting security issues in the current development version of our currently shipping software: Gallery 3. To get the bounty, the security issue must be reported to firstname.lastname@example.org and must not be made public until a fix is available from us on the official Gallery website. Critical problems that require an immediate fix will be worth $1000 and smaller amounts will be paid out for moderate ($400), uncritical ($200), and trivial problems ($100). If we are already aware of an issue, you won't receive the full bounty but will still be credited with finding it independently (and may, at our discretion, receive some of the bounty amount). Understandably, known security issues aren't listed publicly until they are fixed and not all security issues are serious enough to require an immediate fix. We have a long history of collaborating with security researchers and are convinced that trust will not be an issue.
You can also make money fixing bugs or writing code! This one is a little more complicated, but the outcome is similar. We'll pay you to write features or fix bugs that have been voted into the "top feature requests" list. The #1 open item is worth $500, #2 $400, #3 $300, and the rest of the top 10 are worth $250. However, this isn't as easy as it sounds, there are a few requirements:
E-mail email@example.com to sign up for a bounty. Let us know which one you're interested in and we'll work with you to get things started. Recipients of a bounty don't have to accept any or all of it! You are welcome to privately (only known to the person on our team that manages our finances) or publicly (news announcement!) accept or refuse all or part of the bounty. Once our initial $5000 commitment is gone, we will likely put more money into the program and make an announcement indicating this. (Before emailing us, you should check this page to make sure someone hasn't signed up to work on that item yet. See the list below.)
NOTE: This means that once we have spent over our initial $5000 commitment, we may not be able to pay out further bounties. Gallery is not a commercial entity and is entirely funded by donations, so our pockets are not as deep as larger organizations. As of the Gallery 3.0.4 release on 2012-06-12, we have officially spent $6800 on bounties, and are investigating how much more money we can put forward for this program. Please contact us before you submit a security issue if you're counting on a particular payout!
Donating money towards a specific cause is easy! Initially, 50% of your donation will go to the winner of the bounty and 50% will be treated as a regular donation. Once the total amount of donations received matches our initial contribution to that particular item, 25% of your donation will go to the winner of the bounty and 75% will go to the general fund. But you don't need to worry about figuring that out, just follow the steps below:
Below are lists of donations made and people signed up to work on things.
These are donations that have been applied to open RFEs and bugs. Feel free to donate more towards them!
You can't sign up for these because someone is already working on them!
People that have cashed in on bounties so far:
Several people have reported issues to us with our website which include Drupal, Mediawiki, and a few other things. We don't pay out bounties for these but appreciate responsible disclosure on these.