This section should give you basic information about Gallery and how to manage it.
When you ran the configuration wizard, you specified an admin password. Now it's time to use it! On the main Gallery page, click "[login]" Using the username admin and the password you specified during configuration, login to Gallery! (The default username is admin) You now have full admin priviliges and you may test out your gallery by clicking adding photos.
- Note: You may have been given a Username and Password from the administrator of the gallery. If so, then use that information when logging in.
Creating albums is extremely simple, just click "[new album]". The new album is created. You should see the message "Hey! Add some photos" However, before adding photos, it's usually a good idea to modify some of the album properties, such as title, description, and name.
Go back to the main Gallery page by clicking the link in the top right by the up arrow. You should see the new album on the main page. To edit the title of the new album, click "[edit title]" by the current title (for new albums, it defaults to "Untitled"). To edit the description, do the same thing by clicking on "[edit description]". Finally, rename the album. Click on the link in the sentence "Hey! Rename this album so that the URL is not so generic". Once you've done this, you're ready to add photos.
To add photos in an album, navigate to the album and click "[add photos]". You can now browse your computer and upload photos, adding an optional caption with each image. You can also change the number of file upload boxes displayed by using the select box. Another option is to upload files to your server and then specify the path on the server (the directory must be readable by the webserver user ). Finally, you can specify a URL (e.g. http://www.example.com) to "leech" images from. Note that you cannot specify the direct URL of the image, only a page to a webpage that contains images. Click "Upload Now" or "Submit URL or directory" and you're on your way.
Editing Item Properties
Each item (photo or movie) in Gallery has a list of properties that can be edited.
- Edit Text -- Edits caption, description, keywords, and other custom fields defined for the image
- Edit Thumbnail -- Uses a java applet to edit which part of the image should be shown as the thumbnail
- Rotate/Flip Photo -- Self-explanatory, rotates or flips the photo. Rotate can be done in 90 degree increments.
- Highlight Photo -- Use this photo to represent the album
- Move Photo -- Move the photo or group of photos (i.e. position in an album or to another album)
- Hide Photo -- Hides a photo. Only admins and the album owner can see hidden photos.
- Delete Photo -- Deletes the photo (no undo)
- Change Owner -- Changes the owner of the photo (item ownership added in Gallery 1.4.0)
- Edit Text -- Edits caption, description, keywords, and other custom fields defined for the movie
- Move Movie -- Move the movie or a group of items (i.e. position in the album or to another album)
- Hide Movie -- Hides the movie. Only admins and the album owner can see hidden movies.
- Delete Movie -- Deletes the movie (no undo)
- Change Owner -- Changes the owner of the movie (item ownership added in Gallery 1.4.0)
Edit Album Properties
When you are an admin or album owner, you can edit certain properties about an album. When you are an in album, there will be a number of links in the top right of the screen. Each is explained below.
- Add Photos -- Add photos to the album (see the adding photos section for more information)
- Rename Album -- Change the name of the album (i.e. the name in the URL)
- New Nested Album -- Create a sub-album in this album
- Custom Fields -- Edit the custom fields defined for this album.
- Captions -- Edit captions for the images in the album (more efficent that editing each item's caption individually)
- Sort -- Sort the images by various critiera
- Resize all -- Resize all the photos in the album to a certain size
- Rebuild thumbs -- Rebuild all the thumbnails in the album
- Permissions -- Edit the permissions for the album (see the users administration guide for more information)
- Properties -- Edit various properties of the album, including title, summary, and various properties related to the album's appearance
- View All Comments -- View all user comments in the album (only seen if commenting is enabled)
- Slideshow -- (seen by all users) Display a slideshow of all the images in the album
- Logout -- Log out of Gallery