Gallery 1 Import
This module imports your Gallery 1 items to Gallery 3.
For best results, update your Gallery 1 install to the latest version
This module is currently not part of the Gallery 3 distribution.
Download is possible via git or as archive.
Once installed the module can be activated via Site admin -> modules
Once activated, the module needs configuration.
- Enter the entire path to the albums.php file of your old Gallery 1 installation:
- Settings -> gallery 1 import
- For example path: /home/public_html/gallery/albums.php
- Click save.
After you enter your correct path to the Gallery 1 installation and click save, you'll see a 'begin import' option at the very bottom of the page. It may ask you if you like to reduce the Gallery 3 thumbnail size to speed up the importing process, but that's totally up to you.
- Backup your g1 (data folder and database)
- Put g3 on your server, e.g. to a neighboring folder of your g1.
- Install g3
- Enable the comments module and the g1 import module in g3
- Configure g3's g1 import module and run the import process.
- Rename your g1 folder to something else (e.g. from "gallery" to "gallery_old")
- Rename your g3 folder to what the g1 folder used to be (e.g. "gallery3" to "gallery")
- Add the mod_rewrite rules from g3's g1_import module page to your .htaccess file in both the gallery and the albums folder to ensure that the g1 urls continue to work
- Delete your g1 folder ("gallery_old"), it's no longer needed. You may remove your g1 albums folder as well - but recreate an albums folder to put the .htaccess there.
- After you hit begin import, just let the module do its thing. Keep in mind that the import process may take several hours depending on how many photos & videos your gallery has and whether or not you kept the thumbnail sizes the same in gallery 1 and 3. There are also some other contributing factors, but they're some of the main ones. Some real-world examples of processing time: ? hours for ? photos; about 1 hour for 2500 photos (split into 90 albums, keeping thumbnails the same size).
In some instances you might get a error in the logs:
error: exception 'Database_Exception' with message '#1226: User 'xxxxxx' has exceeded the 'max_questions' resource
This is a host limit and resuming after some time duration set by your host you should be able to resume your import.
You can see if this FAQ helps: MySQL query limit