Meeting Notes: Dec 07 2006 Docs - Gallery Codex
Meeting Notes: Dec 07 2006 Docs
From Gallery Codex
Docs Meeting about Codex Reorganization
- Current status is at Codex:Reorganization
- Attendance: Mindless, h0bbel, Zimzat, valiant, Bharat (reading)
- Will add "Quick Start Guide" to G1 and G2 sections
- Update "Other Gallery projects" section (sync with updated current main page)
- All people at the meeting agreed with the new structure. Implementation is next.
- Zimzat explained how namespaces / categories work
- Neither is auto-generated
Namespace vs Categories
- Namespaces properties:
- Why namespaces? One can limit search results to one or more namespaces on the search page.
- And one can reuse page names in different namespaces
- A page can only be in a single namespace at a time
- The default namespace is "Main" and is not part of any URL
- A page in a hypothetical namespace "Gallery" would have the URL http://codex.com/index.php/Gallery:XXX. Thus The part before the first colon is the namespace name.
- A namespace masks all pages with the same prefix, e.g. if there is a "Gallery" namespace, we would have to export / reimport all pages that start with "Gallery:"
- Category properties:
- A page Gallery2:XXX is neither automatically in the "Gallery2" category nor does it automatically generate such a category. It's just a page name.
- Why categories? We get auto-generated landing-pages / index pages for each category. And there are category links on each page that is categorized.
- A page can be in multiple categories.
- You can create sub-categories.
- We will use a template for each category
- Auto-generated category pages can be extended with manual content
- Namespaces are not a requirement for our codex reorganization, but they seem to be a useful feature.
- We will experiment with namespaces on codex-dev while the reorgination is in the works in the real codex.
- Once we're happy with namespaces and know all the details, we will export all pages in the real codex, add namespaces and import / rename the existing pages.
- Proposed namespaces:
- Gallery (content that is common to G1 and G2, ...)
- G1, G2, GR, for individual integrations
Categorization / Top Categories
- Mindless drafted a proposal on his user page: User:Mindless
- We'll use that and Valerie's report (survey results analysis and recommendations) as the base
- Getting a final list of top-level categories has priority before going down to sub-categories (as per Valerie)
- Once we have the top-level categories, we can create templates and start recategorizing existing pages
- Then we can create sub-categories
- mindless to merge the results from Valerie's survey report into his categorization
- h0bbel and valiant to go over the report and the proposed categorization from mindless and provide feedback
- valiant to update main page structure section in reorg document
- valiant to draft a new main page and post link to -docs for final review